Sunday, March 13, 2011

Dayak Salako - The Lost and Found Tribe in Sarawak (Part 5)

GOLD ARAWANA ON ONE OF SALAKO'S IMPORTANT OFFERINGS - GAWE UMA
As Salako (I used Salako instead of Selakau as part of improvement to my friend's comment) has too many Gawai/Gawe, I dont really understand to describe this. Anyway, on my personnal understanding, this "Gawe" is as an offering to "jubata" to guard their paddy farm from insects.
Bamboo altar and the offerings..


Its normally done at the centre of the farm.. The "Panyangahatn" is starting to give his offering.

Starting with the foods..


And later with the water...


I try to guess what is this small kid thinking.. Mphhh..


The new generation of Salako on the ceremony. At least, there are younger generation who still can be the witness of this Gawe. Can they be the future storyteller for the next generation?


At the end of the ceremony, I can see the hope on the farmer's face that "Jubata" will really bless him as his wish...
Believe it or not, this is how they show their respect to the nature... And we shall respect their culture too..

No comments: